Around April of 2013 we started throwing around a game idea that involved bear-esque super giant death mechs. While the idea was ultimately scrapped for a variety of very good reasons, one mech was already loosely modeled in 3D. Over the next few months in free time around rendering we decided to print out 3 sets of pieces for 7" models.
Here is a chronicle of the first few trial and error steps we took through our most complicated print yet.
We used the Makerbot Replicator 2X with standard software and stock plastic - but as you can probably tell we didn't have enough time to 100% devote ourselves to trouble shooting issues that came up. Some are obvious user error, but many are just weird 'hauntings' that i have no way of explaining!
Hopefully these issues can help somebody out somewhere!
Arm Cannon, Hip Block and Head
Upper Torso - Attempt 2
Shoulder, "Forearm", Feet and Shin
Hopefully in the next month or so I will get pictures of construction and painting. I've also seem to have lost images showing the thighs but other than their complex shape and the cleanup that involved we have somehow avoided many of the issues that have plagued us at the start of this project.